Dietetic & Nutrition Services
Access to our Nutrition and Dietetic services is available to all patients during their treatment at London Bridge Hospital Outpatients. Dietitians are the only healthcare professionals licensed to assess, diagnose and treat nutritional problems.
They are a major part of the healthcare team due to their ability to translate complex nutritional information into practical dietary advice and meal plans for our patients.
Our team is comprised of specialised Registered Dietitians, who are all registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), members of the British Dietetic Association (BDA), and are registered providers with medical insurance companies.
How can our dietetic services help
Dietitians evaluate and monitor dietetic intervention in order to ensure a positive effect on patients’ nutrition, aid recovery, improve symptoms and promote wellbeing. Treatment is individualised, achievable and agreed with the patient. We work co-operatively with other members of the multidisciplinary team to integrate nutrition into a patient’s overall care.
We offer flexible one-to-one consultations with our dietitians to discuss dietary needs in a way that enables effective assessment and plan a suitable course of action, which includes tailored meal plans and nutritional advice.
The outpatient service includes specialist irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) clinics, with a team of dietitians specialising in the low FODMAP diet. The department also offers sports nutrition clinics with Accredited Sports Nutrition Experts. Outpatient clinics are held at The Shard and at Sevenoaks Medical Centre.
Hydrogen Breath Test (HBT) service
HBTs are non-invasive tests, used to identify possible contributing factors affecting bowel symptoms, such as small intestinal bacterial overgrowth or sugar intolerances. The outcome of HBTs may require medical treatment and will guide the dietitian when tailoring your diet therapy to your specific needs. This service provides the option of completing some of the testing in the comfort of your own home.
The dietetic service offers expert nutritional advice on the following specialities:
- Bloating/abdominal discomfort
- Critical care
- Dysphagia (swallowing difficulties)
- Eating disorders
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Gynaecological disorders (PCOS)
- Hyperlipidaemia (high blood fats)
- Heart disease and high blood pressure
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
- Irritable bowel syndrome (lBS)
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Neurological disorders (stroke, MND etc.)
- Parenteral nutrition
- Pre/post operation dietetics
- Vitamin and mineral deficiencies
- Renal disease
- Sports nutrition
- Weight management
Patients meet with a leading dietitian who specialises in a specific form of diet therapy. They will conduct a detailed assessment and use the information they gather to discuss any nutritional concerns, as well as provide individual advice for maintaining a balanced and healthy diet that will aid treatment.
Why choose dietetics at London Bridge Hospital Outpatients
- We aim for convenient access to our services, which is why we strive for same or next day appointments at times to suit you.
- You meet with experts and leaders in their fields, including nutritional experts and consultants from some of London’s top teaching hospitals.
- We use the latest advances in diagnostic testing to assist with diagnosis, providing our experts with more information to make clearer diagnosis and prescribe more effective treatments.
- Care is tailored specifically to your need; designed to be achievable, sustainable and assist in treatment and recovery.
- When using our Nutrition and Dietetic services, whether for dietary advice or treatment, we always aim to give you the best possible outcome – a solution that works best for you and a healthy life that you can confidently go back to.
To find out more about our Dietetic services or to arrange an appointment, please call: 020 3131 2714 or email us.
This service can be found at the following facilities: