Oral & Maxillofacial
Oral and maxillofacial surgery specialises in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases affecting the mouth, jaws, face and neck. The oral and maxillofacial team at London Bridge Hospital is staffed by surgeons with both medical and dental expertise. This allows us to offer our patients the highest levels of treatment in oral surgery and maxillofacial surgery.
Oral and maxillofacial services at London Bridge Hospital
The treatments our oral and maxillofacial team are able to provide, include:
Treatments in this field are closely linked to dentistry, but have a wider focus on diseases that effect the mouth, jaw and surrounding tissue, including gums and the muscles surrounding the jaw. Treatments include:
- All routine maxillofacial trauma, including nasal fractures
- Cyst removal and apicoectomy
- Implant and pre-prosthetic surgery
- Management of acute and chronic oral infections
- Management of lumps and bumps in the mouth and jaws
- Oral and facial pain and temporomandibular joint dysfunction
- Removal and treatment of decayed roots and teeth
- Surgical exposure of buried teeth
- Surgical removal of impacted and awkward teeth
- Traumatic lesions of the soft tissues
Salivary gland surgery
This involves treatment of the mouth, with a specific focus on conditions arising as a problem with the glands that produce saliva. Treatments include:
- Benign and malignant tumours of the mouth
- Mucocele removal and other orofacial lumps, jaw, salivary glands and face
- Oral ulcers and red and white lesions that occur in the mouth
- Parotid, submandibular and sublingual gland surgery for benign conditions
- Salivary gland problems, including dry mouth
- Stone removal
This focuses on the treatment and removal of cancer, tumours and non-cancerous growths. Procedures in this department include:/p>
- Biopsy of suspicious oro-cervico facial lesions
- Comprehensive reconstruction, including microvascular
- Comprehensive treatment for osteoradionecrosis
- Fibreoptic laryngo and pharyngoscopy
- Skin tumour and mole excision
- Surgery for all oropharyngeal carcinomas, including paranasal sinuses and salivary glands
The Oral and Maxillofacial department at London Bridge Hospital can also treat the symptoms and causes of facial pain. This could be pain caused by issues with the bones, tendons or muscles in the jaw. We offer diagnostic and treatment services and, in some cases, can refer patients for more complex surgery.
Our facial pain treatments include:
- Cryotreatment of trigeminal neuralgia
- Temporomandibular joint arthrocentesis
- Temporomandibular joint surgery for carefully selected cases
Oral medicine and facial pain
Oral medicine is concerned with the oral healthcare of patients with chronic, recurrent and medically-related disorders of the oral and maxillofacial region, and with their diagnosis and management.
Oral medicine sits between dentistry and medicine. The key difference from oral surgery and maxillofacial surgery is in oral medicine the emphasis is on conditions that are primarily managed without the need for surgery.
Our oral medicine consultants at London Bridge Hospital are both medically and dentally qualified, allowing us to offer patients the highest level of treatment in oral medicine.
Services we provide in oral medicine and facial pain, include:
- Disorders of the tongue
- Dry mouth
- Lichen planus
- Lumps and bumps in the mouth
- Oral infections
- Oral manifestations of drugs
- Oral manifestations of medical conditions
- Oral mucosal disorders
- Oral ulceration
- Potentially malignant oral lesions
- Red patches in the mouth
- Salivary gland disorders
- Sore mouth
- Taste disorders
- White patches in the mouth
- Temporomandibular joint disorders
- Burning mouth syndrome
- Trigeminal neuralgia
- Persistent idiopathic facial pain
- Chronic facial pain
Why use the oral and maxillofacial department at London Bridge Hospital?
- We understand that issues with the mouth and gums can cause a great deal of pain and discomfort. This is why at London Bridge Hospital we strive to arrange appointments on the same day that the patient gets in touch with us.
- Our expert consultants come to us from top teaching hospitals in London, allowing us to provide the highest quality treatment and care for our patients.
- We make use of leading technological advancements, allowing us to treat oral and maxillofacial conditions more quickly and effectively.
- Patient care is tailored to each individual’s specific needs. This promotes a better quality of care, always taking each patient’s requirements into account.
- We always aim for the most favourable outcome. This focuses on achieving the best possible results in treatment and a full patient recovery.
This service can be found at the following facilities: