Lower Limb Treatments
The Orthopaedic services at London Bridge Hospital Outpatients are able to diagnose and treat a number of issues affecting the lower limb.
We provide our patients with rapid access to diagnostics and treatment, which is all overseen by leading specialist orthopaedic consultants. Our services are designed to help alleviate problems that cause patients pain and discomfort. London Bridge Hospital Outpatients can also assist in the rehabilitation of conditions that arise as a result of surgery.
The lower limb conditions we can assist with include:
- Arthroscopic (keyhole) Procedures of the Knee and Ankle Surgery
- Surgery for Arthritis
- Deformity Correction and Limb Lengthening
- Bunion Surgery
- Nonunion and Trauma Surgery
Arthroscopic (keyhole) procedures of the knee and ankle surgery
Arthroscopic procedures, which are also referred to as keyhole procedures, cause less tissue damage, helping with a faster recovery. Common operations include trimming of cartilage, removing loose bodies such as bone chips, washout procedures for arthritis, and anterior cruciate ligament repair. The ankle is frequently injured in sports and the majority of injuries the ankle sustains can be treated with keyhole surgery. Examples include trimming torn ligaments, removing bone chips, and drilling damaged joint surfaces.
Surgery for arthritis
Arthritis treatment often involves minimally invasive techniques, which result in less tissue damage and a more rapid recovery for the patient. We are also able to provide treatments that ease pain and discomfort in joints.
Deformity correction and limb lengthening
Limb deformity and shortening can result from fractures or congenital conditions. At London Bridge Hospital Outpatients we use computer-assisted techniques, including Taylor Spatial Frames to accurately correct a number of limb conditions.
Bunions are a common foot problem. Generally, the surgery involves removing the bunion (bunionectomy) and osteotomy to correct the misalignment of the big toe. To learn more about the bunion treatments we provide at London Bridge Hospital Outpatients, visit our bunion surgery page.
Nonunion and trauma surgery
2 to 7% of fractures fail to heal correctly, which can lead to deformity, shortening and loss of function. The surgery options at London Bridge Hospital range from simple fixation of a fracture to complex reconstruction. This involves using circular frame, bone grafting and bone-stimulating substances like BMP (bone morphogenetic protein) and DBM (demineralised bone matrix).
Why use the lower limb specialists at London Bridge Hospital Outpatients
- Speed & ease of access – we aim for same or next day appointments. This allows our patients to get access to consultation, diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation quickly and conveniently.
- World-class consultants – our orthopaedic consultants are leaders in their fields, overseeing and ensuring our treatment and patient care is of the highest quality.
- Latest technology – we utilise leading innovations in diagnostics and treatment in order to ensure we deliver effective treatment to our patients.
- Quality of care – the care we deliver to our patients is tailored to their individual needs, ensuring that recovery maximises the effectiveness of treatment.
- Leading to the best outcomes – through our ease of access to appointments, leading treatments and expert consultants, we aim to provide the best possible outcomes to our patients, including a full recovery and return to normal activity.
To learn more about our Foot and Ankle services or our other Orthopaedic services, please call 02035 532 749 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to book an appointment with one of our consultants, call 020 7234 2009.